What’s an ACORD eForm?
ACORD eForms represent the next step in the evolution of ACORD forms, and the leading edge of forms technology.
An eForm is an electronic fillable ACORD form that is capable of collecting data. The data from an eForm can then be extracted for re-use, including to populate other forms.
On the surface, eForms appear identical to current ACORD forms. Behind the scenes, eForms’ capabilities take ACORD Forms into the future.
How do I access eForms?
End users of eForms may obtain them through agency management systems, or from forms providers or carriers.
Developers and those who wish to build systems that incorporate eForms may obtain them through ACORD’s eForms redistribution program.
Why should I use eForms?
eForms offer many benefits for both end users and developers:
Benefits for Forms Users
eForms enable you to gather and transmit data faster, and facilitate straight-through processing. eForms are programmed to extract data straight into your agency management system. You can also use eForms through an insurer website.
Using eForms, insurers can receive more accurate data, shorten update cycles, and eliminate the possibility of errors due to manual data re-entry.
Because there’s more intelligence inside the form, it’s simple to use. You’ll be able to train staff more efficiently, which will free your time for other concerns.
Key eForms features include:
- Integrated Forms Instruction Guide (FIG): You don’t have to leave the screen for a separate help menu or hard copy guidebook . Just place your mouse over any field on the eForm, and the instructions for that field appear.
- More precise data capture: Fields such as Address are now separated into component parts, such as street, city, and state. This reduces free form text that needs human review.
- Forms Generation: Fully populated forms can easily be generated for use by insurer call centers and other account services.
- Overflow Capability: The eForm can be configured to expand for additional data, for example if there are four fields for automobile information on the form, but you need to cover five cars.
Benefits for Forms Developers
eForms contain a consistent XML format, and unique XML tags for each form field, called eLabels.
eLabels are applied consistently across all ACORD eForms. ACORD has done the mapping from the physical form fields to the eLabels, so you build it once, and then updates can just be downloaded and plugged into your systems.
An ACORD eForm file contains:
- the layout of the form
- an atomic definition of the fields
- the instructions for completing each field
- consistent labeling of the fields on the form (eLabels)
- consistent XML format for data extraction or population
Incorporating ACORD eForms into your products will help you stay current and compliant, and eliminate the time and expense of creating and maintaining proprietary forms.